Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: The accessible garden we built., 5 by tombaak

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tombaak

Subject: The accessible garden we built.

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of The accessible garden we built.
tombaak wrote:
Our 12 year old daughter (who uses a power wheelchair) has always loved to garden. When she was little I used to just mover her from place to place but as she got bigger that didn't work anymore. So about 5 years ago we built this raised bed garden. It is 28 feet square, the beds are 2 feet high and 4 feet deep, the walkways in between the beds are 4 feet as well. We put the whole thing on concrete because we have HORRIBLE salt grass here and it would have quickly grown up into the beds.

There are some pictures of it being built on my FB page here [HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

It wasn't quick, and it wasn't cheap, but it wasn't very hard either. The only part that my husband and I weren't able to do our selves was the cement poor. We were lucky enough to have many friends and family come that day to help.

With the exception of winter winds destroying the lattice a couple of times (an easy fix) 5 years later is is holding up great! Our girls are 12 and 8 now and they still love gardening, especially harvesting! We start our veggies inside each year and plant them out when it warms up. The garden has made it possible for our oldest daughter to continue to do what she loves, and I have to say it sure is nice on my back as well!

Melissa