Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Good morning everyone,

Fine day again yesterday and I managed to get a bit more re-potting done, although I had a bit of running around to do also. As well as the usual errands, I went to see my old mate (93) who I visit regularly and took him a few containers of soup I had made, as his own bloody family don’t do anything for him. Just recently they started being nice to him for a change and helped clean up his garden before brow beating him into taking out a mortgage on his home to lend them money to help them with what they told him was a “financial crisis”. Three weeks later they were driving a brand new Toyota Land Cruiser and haven’t been back to visit since.....bast.....ds!

Sorry about that, I’ll get down off the soap box now and back onto the topic of brom’s

Karen – As far as an ID for your plant goes, it’s very difficult as a good many variegated plants are very unstable; by this I mean that the amount of variegations and width of the stripes vary from plant to plant and season to season as does the intensity of the colour. Take this into account combined with the fact that you have variations caused by the various growing conditions as well and it’s almost an impossible task to accurately identify these unstable plants. I personally have about ten different variegated miniatures from different sources with different names and they all look the same, although they were different when I first got them. I guess the bottom line is, if you like it, just enjoy it and accept that many NOIDS will forever remain NOIDS, but this still doesn’t detract from their appeal as there are many of these plants which are nicer than a lot of the registered named varieties.

Wendy – it’s great to see the “littlies” enjoying their birthdays isn’t it? Our little 2 year old grandson recently had his birthday party and we were all entertained just watching the antics of him and his little friends, I don’t know when I last laughed so much.

Sorry to hear about Johnny’s Mum having a fall, it seems to be a very common thing with us all as we get older and I’m sure everyone can now see how justified you were to move her into care when you did, as the result of the fall could have had much more serious consequences had it happened when she was still living alone in her home. It’s good to see her care level has been upgraded, but as you say, will she remember to let them know when she needs to shower or go to the toilet. I think apart the her health problems, all of these oldies have something in common; it's called "stubbornness", they are still fiercely independent and see that asking for help is a weakness, I’ve seen it so many times in our family as well as others.

Shirley – I’ve sent in the message for you and ordered fine weather for the next week so you should be OK during your little break, as long as Wendy stays away from the Extra Gums!

I’ve never been to Bunderburg, but I’m told there are some very good brom growers in that area and perhaps Wendy or someone else could tell you who they are so you could perhaps ring and arrange a visit and a chat.

Finally, good day to the other members of the gang who didn’t make it onto the net this morning and to any others who are still unwell, hurry up and get better soon, we’d all like to see you back.

That’s about it and I’ll just finish with a few more pic’s. This time No.1 Neo. Meyendorfii (Mini), No.2 Neo. Meyendorfii variegata (Mini), No.3 Neo. Mr. O'Dean, No.4. Neo. 'Orange Glow', No. 5. Neo. Painted Lady (sport) x Neo. Grace. (One of my own crosses)

All the best, Nev.