Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: March 2012 in like a lamb!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of March 2012 in like a lamb!
shortleaf wrote:
Hi all,
Yeah, it's all items strewn about and just a disorganized look, no trash. Our front and back yards are the only ones in sight with a fence, nothing of ours blows anywhere, even if there was trash. In our case, it's alot of leaves still on the ground. They couldn't blow anywhere but I'm sure it looks bad, I raked up another 5 yard waste sacks today. Today, I also put down about 60 feet of weed fabric.
I'd say total, I have 25 bags already raked up, there's at least another 15 or 20 to yet.
Thanks, their proud of 1 and a half yards of mulch but it's easily worth the $64. In the photo you can see the cedar mulch waiting in the trailer and the new 60 feet or so of black weed fabric in the background to the left. There's just alot of stuff still sitting around. The bad thing about what to do with all my non-decorative black pots is they're full of dirt and something. The bad thing is if I knew what was in them, if worth keeping or not. I can't tell what's in a lot of them because there's no foliage yet. What I'll prolly end up doing is just getting alot of it outta sight until a better time to deal with the stuff.

So far, I'm happy with the plants that are popping up so far, this should be a good year for plants.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Sally. There will indeed be some of that hiding.

Ahem.. edited to say I think I was wrong about bagged mulch versus bulk mulch. Out of curiousity, I went to homedepot.com and looked up what a bag of mulch goes for. There it is $3.47 a bag for 2 cubic feet of mulch, so 1 cubic foot, (which is easier for me to figure, is $1.74). A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet, so 27 x $1.74 is $47 and another half of a yard of mulch is $24 roughly, $71 total plus tax for bags!? I must be wrong somewhere! It is almost the same as getting it in bulk like I did! I had to hook that trailer up and all that! Anyway, I never was good at math in school, I think I was average at best. Is my math right? Can anyone help?
I deleted out the part up there where I declared bulk mulch was so much cheaper than bagged mulch! I'm gonna have to tell this mulch guy my findings! I am likely gonna need another 1.5 cubic yards of mulch, I'm gonna tell him $50 total plus tax or the deal is off!

This message was edited Mar 8, 2012 10:35 PM