Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 1 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
works4me wrote:
Hi all,

another weekend over, another week without any progress on the shadehouse. What little spare time we had last week was spent mowing and pruning and mowing and more mowing. And now, of course, it’s raining and is predicted to do so for the rest of the week … yippee!! … then there’ll be more grass to mow. Colleen, what you said about the shadehouse work never being finished rings true but our problem at the moment seems to be getting started.

Nev, called into Bunnings yesterday to see if they had the plastic hangers but they had only the chain type at about $3.00 each. I did manage to leave there without buying any plants although they had a lovely big vriesea gigantea that was very tempting … but I resisted.

Then went across the road to Masters (just to look) and bought some frangipani trees which were discounted by 50% - got four in all, Darwin Blood, Darwin Yellow, Kimo and Tricolour. Will pot them up today since there is little else I can do outside. I may even have to resort to housework … I hate that, but I'm fast running out of excuses !!!

Nev, I checked out Garden City Plastics as you suggested. They are on the other side of town (isn’t everything) but they only sell in bulk and in very large quantities. I had a look on eBay, there are some available there but the postage makes them a bit expensive. Guess I’ll just have to go visit our local nursery again … they had some lovely vrieseas there last week too.

With regard to hanging pots, I remember reading an earlier post, I think from Karen, that water dripping from one plant onto another below it had caused major damage to the lower plant. Is it necessary to make sure that plants hanging up higher don’t drain on to any other plants sitting below them.

Anyway, here it is 11.00am already and I haven’t done a thing … it’s quite dark outside and still raining and really miserable … I should go back to bed. So sick of all this rain, hate being stuck inside the house.

Will attach a photo of a brom a friend gave me ... can anyone tell me what it is please.

Bye for now, Shirley