Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Need help finding a perennial...Here's a Tough One (I think), 1 by kosk0025

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kosk0025

In reply to: Need help finding a perennial...Here's a Tough One (I think)

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Need help finding a perennial...Here's a Tough One (I think)
kosk0025 wrote:
That is a tough one, mainly because of the length of bloom. You are right---Walker's Low Catmint will bloom for that entire time---but it will be too tall for you.

My purple plants that meet your height requirement and bloom for the same duration as my Walker's low are my scabiosa. If you deadhead/cut back they will bloom all summer for you.

Another option is Jacob's ladder. If you shear it back, it will bloom again and go for much of the summer.....not quite as long as scabiosa in my experience. I do not have a pic of my Jacob's ladder.

Although an annual (though sometimes I get 2 years out of mine) a verbena would work nicely too---so many purple colors available.

I really love my Veronica 'Crater Lake Blue'---perfect height---but only blooms spring and first half of the summer.

Another choice is Salvia nemerosa 'Blue Hill'. However, probably won't start blooming as early as April.

I am unable to take advantage of the uploading of more than 2 images due to size of my files.

First pic is my scabiosa. Second pic is slope with my Walker's Low Catmint (shows how huge it gets).