Photo by Melody

Orchids: Building a collection beyond the basics?, 1 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: Building a collection beyond the basics?

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Building a collection   beyond the basics?
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
Jan, I got my Brassavola nodosa (the one in the pic above) last summer from Selby Gardens. It seems to have been on its small cork mount for quite a while, though. There are roots all over, around and through the cork!

I am a relative newbie to orchids, having only been collecting for a year or so. My two white Phals from the original birthday gift are my 'oldest' plants. Been gardening forever, though.

I think the constant humidity, and warm nights as well as great light (even in the shade) makes the more tropical orchid species grow and go nuts. Of course if you have a greenhouse, and lights you can control things to mimic tropical conditions. I don't have a greenhouse, so my 'chids do pout and struggle a bit through the winter months. We get days with low humidity, and some cold nights each winter, so they slow down.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Brassavolas do once the weather warms up again. I'm building a 'raft' out of bamboo, to attach five small plants of Bc. 'Little Lulu' onto a big old oak tree branch. If they like their tree home, I think they will be really beautiful there. I've spoken to several orchid nuts amongst my local Master Gardener group who say that they have Brassavolas out in their landscape that come through the winters with flying colors, once they are well established. Well, we shall see!