Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Daylilies: Buying Seeds., 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Buying Seeds.

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Buying Seeds.
wrote:
Here is how I germinate daylily seeds, whethe my own, or purchased. Actually, I use the same method for all perennials. Works better than soil and is quicker. Those seeds that don't germinate, are usually not good to begin with. I have almost 100% germination with this method, called Deno Method named after Dr. Deno who invented it.

I first soak the seeds in hand hot water over night to plump them up.

I use a damp kitchen paper towel cut in half and moistened in Peroxide (9 pt water to 1 part Peroxide). Squeeze out the excess water. Fold it in half. Place the seeds in a corner and fold one end over the seeds. Place this package in a small ziplock bag and zip it, leaving a small opening to blow air into the bag to fill like a balloon. Once filled, zip it closed. Place in fridge for 3 weeks to stratify the seeds. After 2 weeks, check to see if any have begun to sprout, which often they do. After 3 weeks, move to room temp to germinate.

Sprouting time depends on variety. At this point, check the seeds several times during the week, starting after the 3rd day. As soon as seeds have formed a radical (tiny roots forming) with a tweezer grasp the seed casing of those and transfer to seed flat or pot. Make a hole with a pencil and guide the root into the hole. Plant the seed, leaving the black seed coat level with surface of the soil, 1" or more, apart. Be sure to place roots downwards in the hole. If the roots have grown into the paper towel, just tear around the roots and plant it. Do not try to remove the roots from the paper. The paper will eventually rot.

I use seedling mix, since it is much finer. I also plant in 6-packs, whick are 1" sq. pots joined together. When 4 leaves have developed, I move them to a 3" foam pot, which are coffee cups. They are cheap in Walmart and a pen will easily punch drainage holes.

My step by step photos of my method. Before planting, I harden them off in a plastic bin placed on the east side of my garage. They get planted in my coldframe end of May where they will remain all winter. I had 2 seedlings bloom the following year.