Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #14: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 1 by Sansai87

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sansai87

In reply to: #14: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of #14: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Sansai87 wrote:
Love anemones. Ours haven’t come up yet. Hope something didn’t get them. Did you ever notice how certain colors seem to dominate certain seasons? A gardener has to do a lot of planning and work to alter that. This is the bright yellow, clear blue, white and pink season. I don’t fight that. I like nature’s changing color schemes.
In my search for the best books on container gardening, I’ve been reading The Ultimate Container Gardener by Stephanie Donaldson. I was a little confused by it until I realized I was reading a British author. They obviously used different common plant names on the other side of the pond. No problems there as long as botanical names are used. I know common names vary widely even within this country. (MK and PJ have an ongoing argument about which plant is the “real” spider lily.) Then, I began to wonder about something. Are the same botanical names used worldwide? Is that what the Synonym part of PlantFiles is about? I’ve always assumed the names in “Synonyms” were the plant’s older names. With new genetic knowledge, I know plants are being reclassified and renamed at a rate even professional nursery staffs have a hard time keeping up with. Time to dig up the real facts. Maybe, a visit to the “Ask a Gardener” forum is in order. :-)
Carrie, I’ll submit the next “Faye” creation for DG’s consideration before doing anything else with it, if the offer is still open. This one is already on DG in blog form anyway. We pulled all the articles off Different Shades of Green to be re-worked by Faye. She was created for the fantasy/science fiction market, but I guess a writer needs to diversify. (BTW, there is no truth to the rumors abut Faye and Squatch. Faye has very discriminating taste. ROFL.). Google’s new blogspot is easier for MK to work with so we are moving from Google to Google. lol. We will put something like, “For the story on how carrots came to be orange, see…” (Link to your article) Kay likes to use address hyperlinks because it makes things easier for blind computer users. Screen reading programs don’t tell you a word is hyperlinked. There is a method to our madness…most of the time anyway. :-) ~N~