Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: January 2012- Happy New Year!!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: January 2012- Happy New Year!!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of January 2012- Happy New Year!!!
shortleaf wrote:
Yeah, walking on ice is treacherous too. I once was scraping off my car and I slipped and ended up underneath my car peering up from my backside, in the snow, with only my head not under the car!

I've kinda winter sowed in the past. They weren't in the ground, just in pots or containers. In this photo was a bunch of Baldcypress seeds that I put in the can in the Fall and come Spring I had a bunch of seedlings.
The closest I have outside right now, to seeds, is 3 bulbs of Lily Trees that I got in the mail from Brecks. Not really a lack of interest in seeds this year, it's more a lack of someone else's yard to put new stuff. Not that my friend minds all the plants, she is okay with all the plants in the yard she says. I need to put the brakes on some planting before there is more plants and landscaped areas than there is grass. I don't think I've gone too overboard yet, but I'm getting close to that nuts look! I've seen a couple of yards where there is no grass, just plants, I'm not sure if I can pull that off! I personally can't have too many plants, I always find a spot for a plant, it's just getting closer to the nuts look! I need to count them up sometime, but I bet there is around a hundred plants on this average sized residential lot! I'm more looking forward to finishing up the landscaping that I've started here. Inside, I have a couple containers of seeds, one just catnip seeds and the other Banana plant seeds, I am still waiting on those to sprout if their going to, I got them for Christmas, I'm starting to think they might be duds.

I have a nice apricotish climbing Rose plant coming in the Spring that I have plans for with the Rose that I got from happ, that will finish that arbor. The biggest job is getting all my weedblock down and the landscape edging down before Spring. My friend here wants to plant a Dogwood for the passing of her Mom. She isn't really liking the smallness that the seedlings are from the Missouri nursery program (they are only about 12 - 15 inches tall). But, I told her they grow fast and they are dirt cheap, you just need to find something to do with the rest of the bundle and seedlings establish better than large trees they say. I might pot some others up and wait until they get bigger and plant them at my vacant lot in Kansas. Here is the plants they offer, if anybody wants to peruse them. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/sea...
Will