Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Paintbrush Lilly, 1 by SamHobbs

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SamHobbs

Subject: Paintbrush Lilly

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Paintbrush Lilly
SamHobbs wrote:
We have a few Paintbrush Lillies. They have been doing well in their current location for a few years. The problem is that the stems (for the flowers) are very brittle. I do not know if we have ever had mature seeds; if the stem of the flowers do not break, then the insects eat the seeds (I think). The stems grow a little crooked; not straight up. I assume they are supposed to grow straight up. They are brittle to the extent that if I try to put something underneath them to protect them, I easily break them by mistake.

We are in southern California. The plants get full sunlight so they get plenty of sun. The plants get plenty of water; perhaps too much water.

If my terminology is not correct then please correct me. I assume that "stem" is what the flowers grow on.

We live about a half-hour drive from the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena. If there is someone there that can help then please suggest who to contact.

We also have some Spider Lillies that are doing very well. If there is a Lily organization in our area then we would be interested in that too.

It is the time of year for the flowers to grow; I think they are just beginning to grow.