Photo by Melody

Orchids: January 2012 Orchid's For Real!, 1 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: January 2012 Orchid's For Real!

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of January 2012 Orchid's For Real!
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
Jim, you know an orchid to us beginners is a different thing than an Orchid to an expert collector like you. You're looking for more specific (and exotic?) varieties, rather than just, for example for me specific colors and fragrance are important. I'm also looking for anything I might be able to grow in the ground, on the fence or in the trees in my protected landscape areas.

As far as good buys go, the Spathoglottis have certainly been a great buy for me so far. I think it makes a difference who the nursery manager is at a given store. Some are more adventurous than others, and Mj even has one that would rather sell off stuff at huge discounts than return the plants to the wholesaler.

I have definitely seen a lot of orchids dying at both Lowe's and HD that are potted up in 'death traps' like glass containers with no holes at all. My instinct there is to "rescue the poor little orchids" but I have resisted, thanks mainly to all the good advice you and Laurel have been so generous with.

I must say, though, the mini-Phals I saw at Lowe's in December were really lovely, and nicely potted in lava rock/bark/charcoal mix, not a wad of soggy sphagnum as I've often seen. Wish I'd taken pictures.

Look out for the cold to really descend once the wind dies down, if the skies stay clear. I'm off outside to re-pitch all the tents . . (sigh)

This message was edited Jan 4, 2012 3:10 PM