Specialty Gardening: How to make papercrete containers #2, 1 by Sundownr

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sundownr

In reply to: How to make papercrete containers #2

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to make papercrete containers #2
Sundownr wrote:
ge1836, I've let the paper soak longer in previous pours, but the paper still wants to clump together. Next time I plan to use shredded office paper to cut down on prep time (sore fingers after shredding by hand for large batches) and see how the papercrete turns out. I also plan on using a paint mixer blade in my drill (can afford another stick blender). Mechanical mixing does create a fine smooth texture of papercrete and a nicer finish. The rough texture has a definite application with the primitive pots though, so I'll continue to use it for smaller batches . . . I'm still experimenting.

kooger, I used plastic storage baskets lined with plastic bags for molding the rectangular troughs. The fairy houses were free-form with papercrete applied to the outside of inverted clay pots also covered with plastic bags. I made the table (from scrap metal) and used a cardboard template to determine the fit for the top. I cut the template up into three pieces to keep it from being too heavy or awkward to handle, plus, if I messed up a section it wouldn't be too much trouble to replace it. Here is a pic of the cardboard layout before I cut it into sections.