Orchids: Rootless Brassavola Nodosa, 1 by Franco24

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Franco24

Subject: Rootless Brassavola Nodosa

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Rootless Brassavola Nodosa
Franco24 wrote:
Hey everyone! I haven't been posting here on DG that often, but my orchid collection has been rapidly growing (ask Rolando! ). I'm rapidly approaching the triple digits!!

But, nothing is more disheartening when one goes to repot a newly acquired orchid than it is to find a rotted mess lying within the pot.

I've had this little Brassavola nodosa 'Pat's' x self for about 2 weeks. I've been tied up with schoolwork before winter break and applying to colleges ... so the little guy was just placed on the shelf. I've watered it maybe ONCE in the time I've had it ... and something didn't seem right. It had two new growth shoots the day I had received it though they haven't moved an inch. And one leaf had yellowed and fell off.

I decided to lift it out of it's pot to find a mess of rotted roots with decomposed bark (almost looked like regular ol' potting soil). There are very few somewhat viable roots left on either of the two individual plants that were in the pot. I've let the guy dry out and potted it up with fresh medium ...

My question now is: Is it just a waiting game at this point? Anything else I should do?

I was so frustrated I almost tossed it and ordered a new plant from a more reliable eBay seller. Figured I'd give it a few weeks and ask your guys' opinions before I went that route. :(