Photo by Melody

Fruits and Nuts: The fig trees I like (or not), 1 by pbyrley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pbyrley

In reply to: The fig trees I like (or not)

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The fig trees I like (or not)
pbyrley wrote:
terri, thank you for the photo compliment. Actually, I like this close-up of nearly ripe Celeste figs (same tree) better.
My dog, Pepper - in front of the Celeste tree you commented on - appreciates the mocking birds because they peck some of the ripe figs and I give them to Pepper. She doesn't mind eating what the mocking bird left (I do). My two LaCeleste (discussed in the intro posting) trees are planted in the back yard and may have a decent crop next Summer, I hope so. I think we got enough frosty weather here without a killing hard freeze yet.

I think there is a fig named Alba, listed in the TAMU extension service fig bulletin. Maybe you should consider that. I don't remember anything about it - it may be an offshoot of brown turkey.

You may want to consider mulching all around your Celeste with either chopped up leaves or 2 bags of pine tree bark mulch from Lowe's or Home Depot. I pour it all around the tree out to about 3 or 4 feet. That will definitely help with your hot and dry Summers.

Good luck

Paul