Specialty Gardening: Looking for a new look, 1 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Looking for a new look

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Looking for a new look
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
wow that truely is pretty. Is that a nepeta between the asclepias? Have you thought about maybe adding a darker purple there instead, say a Salvia nemerosa, blooms all season, that would help to tone down the brightness of the orange a bit. Personally I would be careful about adding pink unless it had some orange tint with it. Geum Mrs. Bradshaw has both pink and orange in it and an all summer bloomer at 12-18". How long does the asclepias bloom for you? I have A. incarnata Ice Ballet, which only blooms in June. Could also consider Sedums (the taller varieties) as they develop their buds in mid summer and don't show much color til later in the season but still have a flower head. How about Limonium latifolium (perenn. statice) soft and airy at 28-30", light purple, right up there in height. If you want to continue with the color theme, look into coreopsis grandiflora, there are so many new ones available now and they bloom all season. How 'bout Chrysanthemum or Leucanthemum Mary Stoker or Sheffield hybrids, can't remember which one, is a pinkish orange, blooms ealier than traditional mums and one of which has a distinct fragrance (not just the mum smell when brushed). , if I remember right is about 24-30". Just a few ideas to toy with. Good luck, Kathy.