Accessible Gardening: Laughing For Joy #8, 1 by Sansai87

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sansai87

In reply to: Laughing For Joy #8

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of  Laughing For Joy #8
Sansai87 wrote:
I think I remember seeing skirts like that in old Happy Days" episodes. It is the 30's and 40's that have always fascinated me, however. A legacy of my adopted GF introducing me to Big Band music which I really liked.
Last night we had an odd version of the battle of the sexes. We measured to see whether a male or female had the longest hair. There was a guy whose hair had never been cut, but the women took the prize in the end. I learned why some Cherokee still refer to members of the coastal tribes as “the long-hair people.” All that long hair whipping and swirling during dances was beautiful to see, but I’m glad I don’t have to care for it every day.
All eight tribal bands recognized by the state were represented and a few from border areas. That eight tribes stuff confused me at first since we were taught in Alabama history about the “FIVE civilized tribes” and it wasn’t that long ago that I was in school. Over-simplified knowledge is better than none I suppose. A Seminole man teased me that now I was getting to hang out with the uncivilized tribes too. lol. I like hangin' with the uncivilized then. There was a girl about my age who did an amazing version of the hoop dance. I lost count of how many hoops she was managing by the end. Unfortunately, I got so caught up in her performance I forgot I was supposed to be taking pictures.
Photo: The lady who won the hair battle for us.