Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Orchids: Cool October Orchids, 1 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: Cool October Orchids

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cool October Orchids
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
Jim, your enclosure is wonderful. One day when we're feeling wealthier we may convert our pool enclosure to something like that. THEN will I ever collect orchids! Is your pool inside there?

Meantime, I have a nice east-facing space that I can enclose on cold nights, and that's where the orchids will camp out if we get cold this winter. It's against a patio door to the house, so there will be plenty of supplemental heat. My two little phals came through our short spell of 'winter' weather last year with flying colors with that protection. So I am pretty confident I won't lose the others, all of whom should be even more cold tolerant than the phals.

So far - fingers crossed - we've had a few nights in the 60's but haven't had any threat of cooler weather. All the windows open all the time, that's how I like it. With the exception of the spathiphyllums that are in the ground and blooming like crazy, and the epidendrum that is sprawled all over the place under the tree fern, they are all inside the pool cage near the patio doors already.

There are a lot of people around here that do manage to keep orchids going in their landscapes. Many of them are out on the barrier islands - like Debi is - which stay warmer in winter and cooler in summer though. But I'm not ready to risk any of my new babies yet.