Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Pineapple Heirloom Tomatoes, 1 by Ozark

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Ozark

In reply to: Pineapple Heirloom Tomatoes

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pineapple Heirloom Tomatoes
Ozark wrote:
"The internal pH of all tomato varieties tested to date, with just a few exceptions, have almost the same acidity which isn't really all that acidic. What happens with the so called whites and pale ones is that the high sugar concentration masks the normal acidity."
-----------------------------------

And I've found that the high sugar concentration only comes when tomatoes are fully ripe, so there can be a big range of perceived "acidity" depending on ripeness.

Carolyn, one of the strains I'm carrying on from the cross I made in 2009 is the "yellow" one from this year's F2 Plant #3. When those started ripening a beautiful bright yellow color I was surprised (and kind of disappointed) at how tart the flavor was. They were pretty sour and "acidic".

I finally realized it's not a yellow tomato at all - it's at least "gold" and might even be called "light orange" when fully ripe. When they're ripe they're quite sweet and the flavor balances out real well with the tartness. If I can get that strain stabilized into a new OP variety, I think "gold" should be in the name so people won't pick them when they're bright yellow, under-ripe, and seemingly "acidic".