Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: What's doin in your neck of the woods today? Fall 2011, 1 by coleup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright coleup

In reply to: What's doin in your neck of the woods today? Fall 2011

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's doin in your neck of the woods today?  Fall 2011
coleup wrote:
Here nothing froze or even frosted so my tenders/annuals are still good to go (unlike myself) .

Pulling my space heater even closer I decided that this morning will be when I get educated about the weight of snow .

Snow is a mix of water and air and the weight of a cubic foot of water is 67+ lbs. So, David those "bricks" could weigh from 16-20 pounds! Yep, not minimal at all!

---------------------------------------------------------

The moisture content of snow can range from about 1% to about 33% so snow can weigh from about 1 pound per cubic foot to over 21 pounds per cubic foot.

Any ice needs to be added to this formula. Use 5.2 lbs for every inch in thickness.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking about those heavy bricks again I have calculated that my newspaper delivery this morning of bricks (bundles) of 20+ lbs saw me load 84 bundles and then lift and deliver same for a total approximate "shoveling" of 3400 pounds! Hope this counts as "weight bearing " exercize. Will continue like this now thru New Year as I do my part to stimulate the economy. (Somehow that old Ernie Ford song "16 Tons" just popped in my head.

Seriously, hope your plants and JM survived and you can relocate to winter digs with some leisure. Also hope our NorthEast neighbors are okay. Some of them got 19 inches of the stuff.

Here is what Suzy Snowflake looks like