Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Raggedy end of a summer container garden, 1 by Jaywhacker

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jaywhacker

In reply to: Raggedy end of a summer container garden

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Raggedy end of a summer container garden
Jaywhacker wrote:
Here are some more stacks with bright lights chard in the top pots on the left. They make great ornamental plants with their bright colored stems and large burgandy leaves. There is a purple vinca in the rear top pot on the right and petunias in the right front pots. A two gallon nursery container sitting on the table puts out a mass of purslane flowers every day from about 9am in the morning untill 5pm each evening. Purslane is danged near indestructable, doesn't much care if you water it or not, and just keeps on producing. Since it has just about taken over my garden, Popping up just anywhere it pleases, I quit fighting it and let it grow anywhere it doesnt get in my way. You can break off a piece of that stuff, stuff it in some dirt and bingo, you got another purslane plant. You can break off a piece with a bloom on it, replant it, and the bloom doesn't die. Next summer, I may just let it take over all the stacks. That should be spectacular.