Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Raggedy end of a summer container garden, 1 by Jaywhacker

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jaywhacker

Subject: Raggedy end of a summer container garden

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Raggedy end of a summer container garden
Jaywhacker wrote:
Many vegetable type plants have been harvested from these stacked containers through an extremely hot summer here in the Texas hill country(the hottest on record). I have enough stacked containers for 356 plant sites and with succession planting and harvesting they are prolific producers. I ran out of time, energy, and desire to continue vegetable gardening in the fall months and just stuck flowers and such in plant sites for now. This photo shows a sweet 100 tomato plant growing from the top of one stack. It was planted in the spring, produced untill the hot summer months and was then cut back to a bare nub. It has grown again to what you see here and is now loaded down with little green cherry tomato,s. What is not shown is two more cherry tomato,s and two bush type "Gardeners Delight" tomato plants growing from the top of other stacks which are starting to produce also. Growing tomato,s from the top of the stacks allows them to just drape downward and no staking or tying is required.

The stack on the right has four tobasco pepper plants growing in the top pot. A relative was helping me plant and she planted the four peppers in that pot after declaring that these pots were just too small to grow stuff in. Go figger. All four plants produced like mad and I am just leaving them there now covered in red peppers for ornamental effect.