Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: fragrant peonies ?, 1 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: fragrant peonies ?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of fragrant peonies ?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Wow Evelyn that's a beauty!!!! Looks like a bourbon rose, hope it's a smelly for you,(lol) Danbey, really a greenhouse, how could you tell me that, (sniff..sniff), what a wonderful addition, what will you grow? Are you starting seedlings or will you grow tropicals? And how in the world did you outwit the four legged things (d--r)? Love fragrant flowers, I read books for years trying to figure out what I can grow that is fragrant...trees, shrubs and flowers and am trying to include as many as I can, don't even care if they are common. If it's hardy and I can afford it it will probably be included in my garden (the whole yard will be one big garden, hopefully 1 acre planted, that's the plan.) I buy mailorder bareroot where possible, also the state extention office has seedling tree and shrub programs (.50 cent each, have to live on acrerage is the only catch), got 80 some common lilacs to surround the yard as a barrier from those 4 legged (d--r), I grow most of my perenns ( which is cheapest and scour the seed catalogs for unusual and fragrant). I start most of my seeds indoors, had a stand to start all my seeds (which I built), did it in a spare bedroom til my brother moved in. Then I took over the tub area of my bathroom, hanging shop lights over the tub, which has a piece of plywood over it. Hoping one day to have a better set up again,lol. I use to start thousands of seedlings every year but am down to hundreds now, still have alot of ground to cover with something other than (w--ds). Oh and pix above is not a close view of mountains for me, my veiw is approx. 24" above horizon line as I live in a valley. My best view for a mountain is Pike's Peak to the south ( 'bout 50 miles away tho). Oh ya Iowa Ann... forgot to tell you a great mail order for peonies is: Gilbert Wild and Son (.com), they have a catalog of Daylilies, Peonies, Iris, Hostas and Lillies, they breed the first three. It's been years since I got peonies from them but they were huge and worth every penny. They give very accurate descriptions of peonies, height, bloom time, fragrance and breeding info. hope ya alll have a wonderful day, Kathy.