Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: fragrant peonies ?, 1 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: fragrant peonies ?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of fragrant peonies ?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
For those not sure on the water needs of peonies: Once established peonies are quite drought tolerant, however in the spring they love the extra moisture. If the weather holds a bit longer for me, I have 24 peonies to get planted this fall. If I don't make it they will spend the winter in pots, gosh I sure hope I have enough time......I would love to see them bloom in the garden preferably. The above patch of peonies I was talking about got shared with others when I moved 15 years ago and now am replacing them where I'm located. If I could just get ahead of the weeds, seems like it has taken too many years to get my yard planted. 'Course I started out with just fields, (I live in the country), but gosh come on, lol. Just finished planting most of the perenns. in the main border, now onto a section of the backyard, debating with myself if I want my peonies there or in a border for just spring bloomers ( peonies, iris, centranthus , trumpet lilies, and bleeding hearts; is already established, sort of, would have to clear the ground again as the pesky weeds took over while I was working on other areas of the garden). Still doing repairs from my July rain/hail of 5", am still trying to figure out how to divert the heavy rain water from above and behind me so I can quite replacing the washed out soil and plants that went God knows where. Anyone else starting their yard from scratch? Whew, should be nice when I finish tho, lol. And for those that have or can get aged manure, peonies just love the stuff , use it as a side dressing in the spring but not too close to the stems. Yeah, only 8 more months here til the peonies could begin blooming!!!!! Kathy.