Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Cassia alata - sleepy orange sulfur larvae, 1 by yakmon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright yakmon

In reply to: Cassia alata - sleepy orange sulfur larvae

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cassia alata - sleepy orange sulfur larvae
yakmon wrote:
Thanks for the info! If you can get more sun on the plant, it will definitely take off. Mine gets about 7 hours of sun per day and it is on a soaker hose, but I don't go crazy with the watering, just a few deep soaks when I think about it, and the plants have grown so much, it looks like a jungle on the side of my house. I have cut them back 4-5 times since planting them because I couldn't walk on my stone path anymore...hehe. Your plant does look healthy, so you are doing something right. I bet if you can get it to come back after the winter, it will really take off. Cuttings do very well on these plants. Every one I have tried has rooted in my mini greenhouse, so you should have good luck in the iguana habitat.

I am happy to bring different types of butterflies to the yard, and sulfurs have always been interesting to me. I started with Monarchs on milkweed, moved to buckeyes with snapdragon vines, then GF's with passionflowers, now sulfurs with cassia....I have yet to see a buckeye or GF cat!

This pic is from Sept 4th and it is hard to tell how tall they are, but if you look behind the plant you can see some telephone lines for scale...

Russell