Rural Gardening: Getting colourful on the October Homestead, 1 by darius

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright darius

In reply to: Getting colourful on the October Homestead

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Getting colourful on the October Homestead
darius wrote:
Yay, glad to see some of our TX friends got rain!!

Robin, get thee some D3, quickly! (It's cheap at Walmart; take at least 4,000 units/day, spread out over the day but taken with something fatty... milk, bacon, yogurt, egg, cheese...)

Last Friday I spread the first (of many I'll need) load of chips over the alfalfa hay where I'm sheet composting for a new garden. Thought my arms would fall off! (Of course, I had also just raked 3500 sq ft of lawn/grass clippings that morning.) I picked up some free punky firewood today to add to the hugel-edge I'm building on the lower side of the new bed. The punky stuff is still in the truck and rain is a'comin', so it can just stay there for now. There's more punky stuff I can have, but I need a helper for the long pieces.

I had a delightful day Saturday... I drove over the mountain to Dyson's. He's wiring a concise thermostat control for my new cheese "vat" (which is an electric Oster 22 lb. turkey roaster from Sam's). Susan, another DG friend, met me at Dyson's and took me out for a very early birthday lunch. We had a scrumptious shrimp grits dish, tastiest meal I've had away from home in several years!!!

Susan brought me a birthday goodie box... lots of seeds and fun stuff, and the knife block out of their camper since she already has the same one in her kitchen. (I guess they are de-commissioning the camper.) Included in the box was a pair of socks called "Air-Plus" which are aloe-infused. I've never even felt baby clothes that soft!!