Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!
shortleaf wrote:
That's a beautiful bed that you made billy! Tell you're DH he had a great idea! The trellis there looks fantastic! That's a good idea, I want a trellis against the wall with Clematis on it now! Well, on second thought, there's no sun there, dangit!

Happ, weren't you saying something about the roots of Water Iris? The roots on one are getting big and long! I think in order to get that one out of the pot I'm gonna have to cut the pot, because I don't know if tugging on the plant till it comes out is a good idea at this stage, it has grown like crazy! I was looking for the post where you said that and I couldn't find it. I can't wait to see you're potting bench!

Thanks for the link, Pepper. I kinda decided against the Japanese Maple, that's a good site tho, thanks. I went to Home Depot today thinking I was gonna get one, but logic kinda took hold and I got to thinking, "I really don't have a place to put it". I better stay with smaller trees that don't really have a mature size that needs dealing with. I DID get something there though! I couldn't pass up on a Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa'. It looks nice around a water pond and it don't get so big that I need to consider it's mature size. It was half price so not bad there, I had a $25 gift Visa, so I only had to chip in like $1.86, it was $24.99. It's not a bad size, it's still about 3 feet tall. I did see what they had there, the one that I was trying to think of is called 'Emperor One', the others were 'Bloodgood' and 'Fireglow', they are really a good buy, I wish I had room, but even a small tree is getting too big. I could get it but then it's just starting to look crazy! There should be mostly yard I think! I like the picture of the conifer garden at that link - http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/colorful-coni... , although there looks to be stuff there other than conifers, which is good. I'd be broke if everything I had was conifers! I better stay with Conifers on sale and "living Christmas trees". For ex., that Dwarf Alberta Spruce was a little "living Christmas tree" that I bought for $3 back in 2004 I think, it's now a decent size so I can bring it out!
I might actually be getting a 'Jane' Magnolia, it stays pretty small, the flowers are real nice, it's also a good indication that Spring has arrived when it blooms!
The photo is it before I planted the 'Globosa', it was getting dark, all the photos were blurry. Even this one is blurry but not as blurry as the others. I'll put the planted one in the next post, it got dark fast for that one! After I took the photo I straightened it up, it's leaning pretty good to the right in the photo. Thats the other blue fish, it has yet another Speedwell Veronica in it! I hope that 'Globosa' isn't too close to the Banana or anything.
Does it look too close to anybody else?

Will