Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!
shortleaf wrote:
Hehe! A Hosta by a fence? Sally, I don't have a Hosta by a fence I don't think. That fence looking trellis in an above photo has three 'Satisfaction' Lily Tree bulbs planted by it. I've been wrong before but I can't for the life of me think of a Hosta by a fence. There is Hostas by that silver tin landscape edging, but that edging is only 4 inches tall. The variegated Hosta with the green and white leaves that is pretty striking is called 'Patriot'. I don't recall the mature dimensions of it, but it's not a big one I know. The potted plant in front of the edging is a Coral Bells.

Thanks happ, thats a good idea, if I have room I might do something like an ornament back there. I have several extra double shepard hooks, but I don't know if the soil goes deep enuff to get that in the ground though.
That spot doesn't really have a lot of soil in it, I dumped the dirt there in 2010 after the deck builders left a big pile of dirt near there.

That hardy Rush or bamboo looking water plant you gave me happ is really trying to multiply, it already has 4 or 5 little bamboos coming off of it! I took it out of the water, it's in the pot but it's not supposed to stay in the water over the Winter in the pot is it? It's a neat waterpond addition too, I'd hate to lose it over the Winter.

The Magnolia 'Jane' is a nice one, I want that one myself eventually, it's very pretty.

Yes, nice Zinnias billyp! Thats what I want now is Zinnias!

Home Depot has (or had..lol) bigger grafted Japanese Maples on sale right now for $19.95, like 'Fireglow' and 'Bloodgood', (and a couple other but I can't recall what they were called, maybe Atropurpureum), thats what I think I'm gonna spend the $25 gift card on that I got for my birthday.

Thanks billyp, a lot of my plants in pots are a good size now. I just had to get thru that suspicious-looking-mess-of-pots-stage of them sitting around for years, the cops came to investigate them and everything!
I'm trying to get them all planted this Fall, I planted 10 more plants tonite, 2 Veronica Speedwells, 2 Soapwarts, a big Dwarf Alberta Spruce, 2 Creeping Phloxes, a 'Munstead' Lavender and one other ut the name isn't coming to me!

How about this Speedwell Veronica in this Fish?!