Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Cassia alata - sleepy orange sulfur larvae, 1 by AmandaEsq

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AmandaEsq

In reply to: Cassia alata - sleepy orange sulfur larvae

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cassia alata - sleepy orange sulfur larvae
AmandaEsq wrote:
Okay, still don't know anything about raising sulfurs. They seem not to mind eating the dried up leaves left from yesterday, but just as many microscopic cats crawling about in the tupperware/rubbermaids made me think there might be a better way . . ..

I went out and looked at the leaves of the plant. They are pinnate and individual leaves don't have stems. I decided I would start from the bottom of the plant cutting and hopefully the new sprouts at top will do their thing. I took a terminal branch with 4 big leaves on it and wrapped the open cutting in wet paper towel and then aluminum foil as though I were going to ship it. It is standing upright in a large (dry!) plastic water pitcher (running out of containers and contraptions) and it took me gosh - at least an hour to transfer all these tiny cats from the 3 smaller containers into the large new one.

They all became very active when I offered them the chance to crawl from dried leaf/twig onto fresh leaf margins. I counted over 15 of them. About the temperature issue, I have put them on the back porch which I think will better simulate conditions for them. They won't get much sun, but at least the light and temperature is natural. I have them tied onto a shelf so nothing can knock them over!

Will keep you posted.

A.

Talk about a rig!