Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Spring Fling 11, 1 by AmandaEsq

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AmandaEsq

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Spring Fling 11

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Spring Fling 11
AmandaEsq wrote:
Thanks. What's funny is she says she's found a "home" for the goat (assuming one not on a chain with acres to roam) but she decided that I was the best thing for the goat and that now I am his surrogate mother. :D

She doesn't know that I can't hardly afford to feed the goat (I purchase alfalfa forage and mare and foal horse pellets for the goat from the feed/mill store, Southern States), but I will continue to do so as long as he's there/I'm here. I was sort of hoping she would give him to someone with pasture, but looks like we're stuck together. I'd take him in here, but he'd destroy my garden. I understand the city had some hearing about the goat (?). I'd assumed there was some ordinance against having a goat in the middle of the "city" but apparently the ordinance speaks specifically to cows and chickens, but not goats.

Under the law, if you include something specifically and do not include something else, then that something else is deemed to be excluded. Since the ordinance speaks to cows and chickens but not goats, it's apparently okay to have goats in the city of greensboro - who knew?!

The goat is funny as hell - has a personality - I feel a responsibility to him, and it's hardly an effort to go over there everyday. Besides, I'm down to 1 dog, 3 cats, an iguana, and 4 tropical fish. That's down from 4 dogs, 6 cats, 200+ gallons of fish/critter tanks, and a multitude of other critters and creepy-crawlies. So I have love and energy to spare. ;)

Maybe I'll start a goat thread somewhere else on DG. I have learned a lot about rearing them! Thanks for your kind comments.

A.

p.s. This photo was taken in March or April - he looks a lot better now!!! :)

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 9:44 PM