Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!
shortleaf wrote:
Here is my proposed "tropical spot" coming along with 4 Banana 'Basjoo's bringing up the anchor! I plan to be going to get some cocoa or black mulch soon, maybe if I mulch good enuff, the Banana's will be okay with coming back next year. I'm not big on the dyed mulches but I think dark or black will be good for a tropical themed area. See the lava rocks leftover from the 70's landscaping?!
They say minimum 20° below zero for the 'Basjoo's but they're Banana's for Petes sake! I wonder if should lay down a piece of plastic over each one, so maybe they'll stay a little drier? I measured between them, so they shouldn't look all crooked and crazy! How about the lovely and big scallop seashell?!

All those cut branches in the foreground are from that gangly Rose-Of-Sharon that is much smaller than previous now! It's still there, it's a nice bush, it'll only be about 3 feet tall now. If you'd like me to try growing you one from a cutting, Crit, I can try that. I have lots of trimmings! lol

I like you're plan there, happ! I got 2 Banana plants planted today and quite a bit of other stuff accomplished. I am pretty fortunate with the time to do stuff, working part-time at home is good for time, but it doesn't do much for the wallet!

"Almost Famous"? Not me. I wonder if "Penny Lane" is an actual person or something? Eeek! A pergola AND a bench? That is some toiling there, happ!
I have to put on Off, I can't stand to have skeeters drawing out my blood!
Will