Photo by Melody

Georgia Gardening: Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?, 1 by Cindy_GA

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Cindy_GA

In reply to: Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?
Cindy_GA wrote:
Laurel, your garden looks fabulous as usual. I have big plans, but I'm in the same situation as FarmerDill - it is tooo hot and dry out in the garden. We're having a cool spell today - it's 12:30 and only 99 in the garden... I have brassicas and leafies started under lights inside. My azaleas in the back yard (close to the lake) are drying up - I may have to figure out how to get water to them this weekend. The only grass that is growing is in an arc next to the garden where the overhead sprayer hits.

I am going to try Fava beans this year - not sure when those go in the ground - not yet tho - only a few seeds like Laurel. I did a late planting of pole beans and they are up and climbing - Rattlesnake, Hilda Romano, and a few others. One batch never germinated so I planted some sugar pea seeds - yes I know it's unlikely. Last year I did get some snow peas to grow that I babied with lots of mulch and water and we had a small harvest of snowpeas going into late November.

I'm babying my winter squash - have butternut and delicatas growing. I'm still battling cucumber beetles and pickleworms. I have some little nylon "peds" that I've put on the squashes to keep the pickleworms out - it seems to work tho it looks funny. I have to run water through the soaker hoses at least once per day to keep these growing.

Our other pole beans are finally producing again - picked 5 pounds of beans on Wed. It was wonderful! Crossing my fingers that the storm in the Gulf brings us some rain this week...

Cindy