Photo by Melody

Georgia Gardening: Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?, 1 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Hi Brenda. Thanks for responding. I got back to Atlanta and checked on the seedlings a short time ago. Broccoli should be ready to plant out next week. The raddichio is not far behind. I have wanted to grow it for years so fingers are crossed. Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts are still puny. Kale looks robust but small. I've never grown things under lights until this year. DD gave me a heat mat last winter and SO set up a two shelf system with double banks of lights. The shelves are in a west side basement window wall so plants get natural light too. I can grow hundreds of plants on those two four foot shelves! It's great not to battle bugs, drought and uncertain temperatures. So, it's supposed to rain (please say it's true) Monday and Tuesday, maybe even a little on Wednesday. I've got other spots ready to broadcast mustards, turnips, and more kale. Can't have too much kale. I've got lettuce seed but the bugs always get the seedlings so I'll try to plant some inside.

Has anyone grown Fall spinach? I've never heard of it because spinach likes to grow in wet soil as well as cool weather but see some gardeners do it here on DG. Also, does anyone have a source for fava beans with more than twelve in a package?

Oh yeah, if you look at the pile of rocks to the right of the photo you'll see what I'm up against gardening on a mountain side. I had already hauled away most that came from that bed. We've been gardening on that spot for years and, as you can see, we grow great rocks! They seem to come up in all seasons. Maypop is the home of the Busted Shovel Handle Hall Of Fame.

This photo is two weeks old. You can see one of the seed starting beds. To the right are the bean and pea fences. I planted Rattlesnake beans August 1st (too late for running beans according to our extension service planting dates). They are at the top of the fence and budding.