Photo by Melody

California Gardening: When to start fall gardens?, 1 by soilsandup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright soilsandup

In reply to: When to start fall gardens?

Forum: California Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of When to start fall gardens?
soilsandup wrote:
That is a great link. Thank you.

Googlie - good luck with your fall garden. It is indeed a challenge to garden in high desert areas. I am in the valley and gardening is much easier down here.

I also used to only have a vegetable garden in the summer. I tend to not pull up any of my summer crops until really late, as long as they are still producing. And then by the time I clear out the garden, it is too late to put in any of the fall and winter crops. But, this year, I am going to have the opportunity to expand my veggie growing. I took out all the lawn in my front yard over the course of the past year and a half, and expanded my vegetable growing area by putting a big bed in the front yard. Now, I have room to put in fall crops while still being able to keep some of the summer producers into the fall. Recent photo showing some tomatoes draping down the wall in the front, along with several varieties of eggplants. Behind them are the bush beans, bell peppers and cantaloupes. In the rear are tomatoes and squashes - the tree behind them is a persimmon tree. Interspersed elsewhere in the front yard with my other plants are strawberries, blueberries, pumpkins, and cucumbers. I still do have a veggie patch in the back yard where I grow trellised plants like long beans since I don't think the neighborhood association would like that "look" in the front yard.