Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Toni's Tomato Update, 1 by toni5735

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright toni5735

In reply to: Toni's Tomato Update

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Toni's Tomato Update
toni5735 wrote:
Hi Nancy, so glad to hear from you. Yes, I agree, this year was difficult in all sorts of ways. Weatherwise, the cold start didn't help and then all the rain we got in July was ridiculous.

I agree with your assessment of Henryka. Beautiful, vigorous plant growth with lots of saladette-size tomatoes. I grew Henryka and Ozarowski side by side and the fruit was almost identical in appearance, but the Henryka plant was much heartier and it's fruit had the edge taste-wise over Ozarowski in my opinion. I really do believe all the rain we had severely diluted the taste of these tomatoes b/c some of the ones that have just recently ripened are much sweeter than the earlier ones during the monsoon. Also, both Ozarowski and Henryka have a very thin skin and alot of them split from the rain.

The seed for Konsul that you sent me was a surprise in that I've never grown a dwarf before and I have never seen so many tomatoes come off one tomato plant, especially one that is a little over a foot tall! Today I picked the last of the tomatoes from it and in total it produced 3 large bowls of plum tomatoes. I've already put up 3 qrts. sauce from the two large bowls I cooked up the other day and now I'm cooking up the last bowlfull along with the Ozarowski and Henryka's b/c they're getting very soft and juicy and need to be used up.

I'm liking that food mill Nancy, wish you lived next door b/c I would be knocking on it right now and begging to use it!

This is what I have to use tonight to finish the job. Hope I don't end up covered in skin and seeds again!