Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS, 1 by docgipe

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright docgipe

Subject: NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS
docgipe wrote:
A gift from Gitta three years ago at a plant swap. This is the third outside growing season since my watch began. Two weeks ago I had this plant on my kill list. My helper and I ran out of time so it managed to hang in there for two weeks on borrowed time. A few days ago on a plant that appears under cared for and in need of some TLC the buds began to show. To date there are five showing. I never had or witnessed Night Blooming Cerus blooming. Based on what you see any night now it should open and at least four more are posed to follow.

What I did to bring it in is opposite from some opinions. When I moved it outside this spring I whacked off long reaching growth so I could drag it from inside to outside. All of the bloom is coming from new growth just below my cuts this spring. I left it in the pot that appears to be much to small. Feeding was my usual variety of organic teas with a monthly lite dose of one specified for acid loving plants. Since putting it outside I stopped feeding and gave it no water except rain. Note we had record rainfall with lots of high humidity until the beginning of August.

After receiving this plant from Gitta I read and re-read every line in various forums on this plant. There was little help and a lot of confusion and considerable differences of opinions.

But for an act of poor management causing me to run out of time three weeks ago this plant would have been history. Now dern it I expect it has earned its keep for a few more years. It is pretty big but wacking on it seemed to trigger the new growth and this bloom.

In spite of anything I may have done or not done at all this lovely bloom and at least four more look like the show is about to begin maybe even tonight. Strike up the band. LOL