Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Rural Gardening: Hot times on the August Homestead, 1 by CricketsGarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CricketsGarden

In reply to: Hot times on the August Homestead

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hot times on the August Homestead
CricketsGarden wrote:
I think it does mean more sweet potatoes darius. My rooted vines roots were looking like sweet potatoes when i dug the plants up. They just didn't have enough time to grow bigger. I think if the vines were covered as they grew they will take root sooner and will have more time to maker bigger potatoes on the new roots.

The morning after my roosters died, I traveled the whole town looking for answers and meds.
I was told again that my chickens could have gapeworms and that infestations of gape in the chickens lungs can
cause respiratory infections (was told that at the feed store). A game bird breeder suggested they just had a respiratory infection due to the runny noses...(like porkpal has suggested). I treated them all for worms and all have had antibiotic in their water and will continue antibiotics for 10 days. 11 chickens were wheezing(gurgling) really bad and they got antibiotic shots.
some information i found on gape worms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm
My barn looks like a chicken hospital.

Other than nursing chickens back to health, I been picking muscadines to make wine and juice. Bought apples to make apple cider and vinegar. Bought pears to go with the pears I grew to make perry. I also bought an old 6 gallon churn to make the perry. This is going to be so fun. Been buying canisters for my kitchen. I didn't have any due to that house fire. But anyway, I bought a set of Mushroom canisters that were made in 1978. You remember the ones that actually look like a mushroom with a mushroom on the lid and mushroom imprinted and painted on the front. They were in excellent condition considering how old they are. With matching salt and pepper shaker, a napkin holder, and two of the enamel dishwares with the plastic lids.