Rural Gardening: Hot times on the August Homestead, 1 by CajuninKy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CajuninKy

In reply to: Hot times on the August Homestead

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hot times on the August Homestead
CajuninKy wrote:
I so wish I still had energy and strength. I am always plugging away at things but it takes me so long to get anything done anymore. But I won't quit until they throw dirt in my face. :)

We got a new baby goat. It's 2 weeks old like our youngest 2. She came from a friend. Her momma died and he did not have time to bottle feed her. I think he actually couldn't get her to take the bottle and he was worried she would die. She is drinking a couple ounces at a time every 4 hours or so and she is nibbling hay and feed pellets. I think she will do fine. I have named her Bobbie. I don't know that i will keep her. I have a sale for a buck and a doe so i may let her go in that deal. Or I may keep her and let one of my other doe goatlings go. I'll see how they grow over the next couple of weeks.

I bought the tetnus injection for the little buckling I am selling as a pet. I need to band him today. I have a feeling he ain't gonna like it. The other one will stay a buck per the request of the person buying him. Each kid I sell will buy feed for the rest of the herd for nearly a month. That will really help.

I have had a bad headache for 3 days now. I am finally feeling better today but taking it easy. Had lots I wanted to do but I don't want to overdo it. I want to shift some chickens tomorrow. I am going to start putting laying hens in the freezer as soon as I get the freezer cleaned out. That is something else I wanted to start today. I want to cook up most of what is in there and freeze it all in individual servings. I think it would be used much easier that way. We are hoping to go camping and trail riding one weekend this fall and it would be nice to have the food already cooked.

I need to do some reading on that squash and cook it. There are 3 more on the vine. I will let you know how it turns out. If it's good I will surely save seed and see if it will breed true.

My yellow scallop is putting on some more fruit. I love those. I think the cocozelle and straightneck can both be pulled. They didn't do much at all. I have a trombocino that needs to be picked. I have one in the kitchen to cook also. I have never grown them before. How should they be cooked?

Cricket, I hope you get time to put on some pics of your new critters. I have been thinking of getting a few rabbits. I love to eat them and their fertilizer is great.

I really like the idea of those tabletop gardens. I may give that a try sometime. I think I am going to reconfigure my SFG yet again. *sigh* The 3' wide beds are just a bit too wide for me. Reaching out is too hard on my weakening muscles so I need to get the beds down to 2'. I don't know how that will affect the growing but I need to try it. Then I could get 3 beds about 2' X 10 -12' in the same spot and cover it all with a hoop house like Robyn builds. I could get started sooner in spring and go later in fall. It may all be a pipe dream but it doesn't cost anything to dream.

I went scrounging at the local dumpster and found everything I need to make my milking stand. That will sure help things. I am milking now but it's not very comfortable. Really feels good that the milking stand won't cost anything but the nails!!! I love it when a plan comes together. LOL

I'd better get off here and get busy. Still got a lot to do.

Take care of that toe!!