Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Spring Fling 11, 1 by AmandaEsq

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AmandaEsq

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Spring Fling 11

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Spring Fling 11
AmandaEsq wrote:
Cheryl and Ruth - I somehow found this thread and I am enjoying the tales of the buffet. It is so wonderful to find like minded people out there. I know you exist. you are just few and far between.

We have always fed the critters. Every one. A few years back I had an opossum buffet several months one winter when a single possum came every night. I put one or two plates of food out every night. His favorite food was apple. I watched as he would pick up each slice and nibble it to nothing.

I do not have permits for wildlife rehab, but I volunteer with the piedmont wildlife rehab group. We have had a crow this season and the possum. It's a lot of work to commit to, especially when we already have a full house of critters who have their own demands.

The possum baby was such a lovely treat. A neighbor does "pest removal" and captured the baby inside someone's home. Pete, as well call all possums, was released on Saturday in the early evening near the headwaters of the Haw River in North Carolina. The woman who gave him to me asked me when I told her where I was going to release him, "Why so far?" Roads and kitty cats are the #1 causes of death in the opossum. Where Pete is now is far far from both.

Live long and prosper, Pete.

A.