Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: more plants from Teddy, 1 by cathy166

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cathy166

In reply to: more plants from Teddy

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of more plants from Teddy
cathy166 wrote:
All of these containers are under a big shade oak tree. The foliage plants are caladiums, and that pink flower behind it is a begonia with beautiful, big blooms. I always start caladium bulbs indoors in containers and move them outside when it warms up. At the end of the season, you can cut off the dead foliage, dry off the bulbs and store them dry in a coolish (45-50 degree) area. In their dormancy they are storing up energy. They have amazing restorative powers. You need to start them in a warm place, but they don't need to go to a light area until the leaves have emerged.

And you can take them with you if you move. They also make great gifts. The bulbs are available at big box stores and wallyworld inexpensively. I always put at lest 3-4 bulbs in each container.

You might also consider some herbs. You can grow basil outdoors and bring it in when the weather gets cool. It is happy in a window and tastes great in tomato sauces. Three years ago I planted three 3.50 pots of oregano, sage and dill. Dill keeps reseeding itself and is delicious. Sage and oregano are perennials and just keep coming up every spring.