Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: more plants from Teddy, 1 by cathy166

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cathy166

In reply to: more plants from Teddy

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of more plants from Teddy
cathy166 wrote:
Have more patience. I wish they would bloom for you on demand, but that is only realistic with plastic flowers. Don't forget that most morning glories are growing long before you seeded yours. I have never known a morning glory that did not bloom, only plants where I missed the bloom.

I have always considered MGs a pain in the neck because they vine everywhere, and vines tend to choke off other stuff. I just cut some off my tomato plants. The only vines I like are clematis, and they are slow starting perennials. This is the third summer for some of them, and the first year they bloomed.

As a new gardener, next spring it might behoove you to pick up some inexpensive flats of colorufl annuals. They are small plants in small, connected pots, usually in packs of 6 or 12. The easiest are snapdragons, celosias, both the straight and twisted, and marigolds, to name a few. You put them in as small plants with lots of space in between and throughout the summer they fill in beautifully. And you don't need to have much patience!

For pretty vines, why not try sweet peas? They are available in all colors. You can start them indoors. As I recall, you just nick and soak the seeds and they grow easily. I don't know when you started planting, but you'll probably find that most of the DGers have been gardening in their heads since last November and starting stuff inside since the winter.

These tree peonies were here when we moved in. We have this beautiful display of 6-8 flower that are anywhere from 4 to 10 inches in diameter, and they last for approximately a week. Unless it rains :(

Check out some of the other forums with annuals as well as cottage gardening.

When did you move into your house?