Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011
perke_patch wrote:
Hi Tash. Yes those are the same seed batch as yours. However these are some of the first ones potted up from the seedling trays and yours were probably some of the last ones. I think the seeds just keep germinating in the trays over a long period. Even after you pot some up they have a dormant seed attached to the root ball and you sometimes get an extra seedling growing in the pots after a period of time. I will take a photo of some of the very biggest ones and post it.

Nev the gee whizz seedlings are getting quite big. We actaully gave up on potting them after a while and gave what was left in the tray to someone else to pot up so haven't kept too many of them becasue we thought we would be pressed for room to raise them.

Yesterday the mailman brought me a beautiful surprise. sue had send me a batch of seed which I wasn't expecting. Wow I was so excited. I potted up the hieroglyphica x fenestralis, heiroglyphica x platynema variegata, and platynema variegata today. I have to find some more trays to pot up the other two tomorrow.
Pic is my neo freddie which is starting to flush with colour. I have this and Kathleen (aka golden king) which is the opposite of freddie side by side. one is albomarginated and the other is variegated. They look nice flushing together but they rarely crack it at the same time.

Wendy