Photo by Melody

Georgia Gardening: Veggies started in late June?, 1 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Veggies started in late June?

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Veggies started in late June?
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Sorry, I have no advice in the sprout dept., BPlum. Google Walter Reeves and brussels sprouts for recommended varieties and advice. I love them though luckless in growing them. They sell starter plants everywhere come Fall but I've never seen anyone grow them. I think my problem is a lack of consistent water and heat during August and September. I've only ever tried to grow them in Fall. Maybe I'll try starting seed in February and planting in March with row covers. We have been surprised this summer to still be cutting main stems of broccoli and cabbage. I planted cauliflower started from seed in February that has neither headed nor bolted so I'm waiting to see what will happen come Fall. What is a Daconil equivalent?

Sterling, I will start planting arugula and cilantro from seed within the next week. I have two week old water rooted tomato cuttings that were potted in gallon pots a few days ago. They will go in the ground in two more weeks. I will seed out red and green cabbage, collards and maybe broccoli, in a partly sunny, damp space in the next few weeks under row covers. Then, when they are a good transplant size, and I've cleared a spot for them, I'll move them to their permanent spots in full sun. Mustard and turnips will go in much later. I grow a lot of mustards, not just the southern types but also mizunaa. For southern I like Florida broad leaf (India mustard).

This photo is a week old. Need to snap some new ones.