Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: ZINNIAS! 2011 June to whenever!, 1 by Zen_Man

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Zen_Man

In reply to: ZINNIAS! 2011 June to whenever!

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ZINNIAS!  2011 June to whenever!
Zen_Man wrote:
BB,

"Are you thinking about those Rembrandt tulips?"

Yes. The original striped or "broken color" tulips were the Rembrandt variety, and the color patterns were caused by a virus. The virus-infected Rembrandts are no longer sold because of the virus. I understand that virus-free tulips with similar color patterns are now available.

I just didn't want striped zinnias to start showing up everywhere in my zinnia patch. I think the last striped zinnias (Peppermints and Candy Canes) that I grew were in 2005, at which time I (and the bees) did some cross pollination with them, before I resolved to avoid the stripes. Striped zinnias still appear in my zinnia patch occasionally, so I didn't quit working with them any too soon.

I like bi-colors and tricolors, like with the Whirligigs, and occasionally I see a striped pattern that doesn't look "broken", but the Peppermints and their like do have a sort of a genetic defect that concerns me.

By crossing Whirligigs with Cactus-type zinnias, I get a lot of big zinnias with blended color effects, like this recent one in the picture. That zinnia would have an entirely different look if those colors were striped and/or speckled. I recognize that some people might like that look, but it is "not my cup of tea."

For anyone interested in cross-pollinating striped zinnias with other types, by all means do so. You are almost guaranteed to get some interesting results.

ZM