Photo by Melody

Roses: What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?, 1 by springlover

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright springlover

In reply to: What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?

Forum: Roses

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?
springlover wrote:
Ladies and gentleman rose lovers:
I don't usually have a lot of time to spend on this computer lately, so just wanted to put a bunch of stuff in one reply, if you don't mind my ramblings.
I have a Queen Elizabeth and love it too. I'll enter a pic at the bottom, but have had no problems with her except the Japanese Beetle love her too...UGGGGH Because of those critters, this year I used the Bayer systemic system, and will try the black spot etc. system next.
All my roses are on the east side of the house and recieve no less than 8 hours of sun a day. We had 3 huge willows in that yard, and they all had ant problems and were weak, so had to be removed. That is where my rose beds are now. I planted L.D. Braithwaite in one bed, but he hated it...don't know if it was remaining tree roots that killed it or not, but I believe so.
Before transplanting ANY rose or plant, I use the "Good Start" transplant fertilizer. If I have a bare root rose, I soak it at least overnight in a solution of 1 capful to 2 gals. of water, and use that water when filling in the hole. I don't sprinkle Epsom salts in the hole, but rather put it around the rose after filling and let it slowing leach in to the roots. Great results with that. I'm afraid I killed a couple roses with kindness with using kelp meal and alfalfa in the planting hole so now it's just the transplant stuff for me! LOL
Murpheys Oil soap instead of dish soap....learned that the oil soap kills the aphids by causing them diarehhea and they poop themselves to death! TAAAADAAA! LOLOLOL
This year is the first year that I have cut my roses wayyyyy back to about 18", and they don't seem to like it much. NOT going to do it again next spring!
The pic below shows the roses I have against my deck. The railing is about 6 feet off the ground, so that will give you an idea how big the plants are. Besides QE, the "orange" ones are All that Jazz and the pink is Carefree Beauty shrub. All of them bloom consistently thru the summer/fall.
Well, if anyone has any questions, I'll try to get by and answer asap.
Thanks for this wonderful site and will look forward to hearing from you later!