Perennials: Annual Poppy talk, 1 by birder17

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright birder17

In reply to: Annual Poppy talk

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Annual Poppy talk
birder17 wrote:
No, man, I wish they were the Oriental Poppies! I can't get them to grow to save myself. I have planted them from seed for about four years now, and I don't have a single Oriental Poppy. I did buy some O. P. 'Victoria Louise' from a garden cntr, this spring. They were growing nicely. Then, I had a fire hydrant put in that garden. They put it in the wrong place where I would have had to walk across the garden to turn the faucet on and drag the hose across all of my plants. I will show you a picture because I like to "wail" about this every chance I get! :)

I really didn't know there were more than two kinds of poppies until I started reading on this website. I love the poppies--all of them. I purchased some Iceland Poppies this spring -they also went "south" with the hydrant. I am not sure if they would have come back anyway, but I would have liked to have seen if they would. I moved some of the flowers thinking they would not need the WHOLE garden to put in the hydrant.

The poppies I have used to be Peony Poppies. I have had them for 20 years or so. Now, most of them are the Poppy sominiferum with coral petals and lavender eyes (beautiful). This year, I had orchid peony poppies, red peony poppies, pink peony poppies, pink sominferum and the coral/lavender poppies. They are so interesting and fun to see what color I will have next year.

This garden was full of flowers. Here it is now: