Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011
weed_woman wrote:
Hi all, Nev, I like that Bill. sanderiana, it has quite prominent spines doesn't it.
Alas, Theresa, all the Billbergias have a short flowering period, thats what makes the green foliage ones hard to sell, you only get one shot unless you have a big pot at different flowering stages. Still, the B. nutans make a great specimen on the table if left to form a big clump. Much nicer than cut flowers.
I second what jen says about the positions for your Broms Tash. I don't know of any website with that info, but the Andrew Steens books are a good place to start, and you might be able to get them from the library. I beleive there is a new edition out with some new pics too, so I'm on the lookout for that.
Colleen, that brom is Aechmea 'Clara' and always fetches a nice price on Ebay, so you might find it hard to get anyone to part with one for cheap! I haven't got one unfortunately, but one day I will.
Dianne, there'd be room in your garden for broms, theres always room for one more plant?
Pam, give me you address and I'll send my plants up there to live with you.....NOT! he he. Got you excited though eh?
Better go dish up the dinner.
This is a pic of Leisas Guzmania 'White Grapeade' its got two blooms on it. Just lovely and reminds me of her.
Sue