Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011
weed_woman wrote:
Hi Wendy, congrats on having a good sale, I wish I could say the same. I'm convinced there are no bromeliad collectors in Coffs. Luckily I did take some other plants for variety, and sold a few to make space. I did sell a couple of Broms in the last half hour, as I was packing up, and one was a very good V. splendens, with a flower just beginning in the centre, for $10. I might as well be giving them away, even then, I think I'd have to pay people to take them. Strange. I'll persevere and keep going to the monthly market if the weather is good. Maybe I'll get some new enthusiasts interested.
I like the Till photos. I have Cotton candy too, so will be thrilled to have it grow and clump up. I've had it awhile, and it looks to have grown in size, and is healthy, but no sign of flowering or pupping yet. I have all of the ones you suggest are popular, so you must be right! My Tills are not liking this constant rain and cold, so am trying them under the eaves for protection. I did sell a couple of T. caput medusae and T. fuchsii forma gracilis, (which is a real cutie) today, so am glad someone out there like the tills.
Dianne and karen, I'm glad you're both enjoying the thread. Its nice to know you are looking in and can appreciate the beauty like we do. Now I need to find a suitable picture to impress you! he he
This is a farly widely grown one, Aechmea weilbachii, and is flowering now. If I had a hundred of these I reckon I could have sold them!
Sue