Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: short shrub suggestion, 1 by Weerobin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weerobin

In reply to: short shrub suggestion

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of short shrub suggestion
Weerobin wrote:
Just brainstorming here, I can think of several shrubs you might consider:

How about a dwarf deciduous holly? I think there's one called Red Sprite, if I recall correctly (Ilex verticillata Red Sprite). It doesn't get as tall as most deciduous hollies, tolerates wet feet, afternoon sun and has beautiful berries. You'd need a male pollinator somewhere in the vicinity, but if you've got room for several, you can intermix them with the males toward the back.

Or how about aronia melanocarpa Viking? Again, tolerant of moist soil, afternoon sun and lots of berries. Mine also has nice fall color.
Callicarpa with tons of SPECTACULAR purple berries (pictured).
Itea (white blooms and nice fall color, several cultivars including some low-growing ones).
Stephandra incisa crispa, which has fairly boring white flowers in spring, but nicely dissected foliage. No appreciable fall color.
Spirea thunbergia Ogon. Nice yellowish foliage color, finely textured small leaves, bright white spring flowers, nice orange fall color.
Jet black bead shrub (rhodotypos scandens). Bright white flowers, later shiny clusters of 4 jet black berries. No fall color.
I could go on... Neillia, buddleia, sorbaria, hypericum, indigofera, one of the new dwarf lagerstroemias... These are all tough, non-fussy shrubs requiring little care.
Hope this helps!