Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Jen – I leave the lids on until the leaves are almost touching them, and then I remove them. After a few weeks I put the holes in the bottom and sit the containers in cut down broccoli boxes on a bed of damp coco peat (See pic below). However don’t forget, I’m in a cooler area than you so you may need to do something different to suit your own conditions.

Tash – Identifying all of the different genera is something that will take considerable time and will only come with experience. Don’t try and do everything all at once. A simple starting point with the more commonly seen plants in shops and at markets is that generally speaking, if the leaves are smooth on the edges they are probably Guzmanias or Vrieseas although there are a few Neo’s that have smooth edges as well, but these are in the minority.

Go to the FCBS site http://fcbs.org/ and look down the index on the left and open the section on BROMELIAD CLASSIFICATION / TAXONOMY. I’m not trying to be insulting, but a good starting point is the “BROMELIAD KEY FOR DUMMIES”. By working your way though this you will be able to identify some of the more common plants you are likely to encounter.

You say that the Quesnelias have you a bit confused. This is understandable as the plants of some resemble Billbergias, some resemble Aechmeas and others resemble other genera. It’s the flowers that are the key to the ID as well as the form of the plant. Again go to the FCBS site and look for Quesnelia in the Photo Index there and you’ll find more to pick from. Let’s know how you get on.

All the best, Nev.