Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Iris Seed Germinating, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Iris Seed Germinating

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Iris Seed Germinating
wrote:
irisMa, thank you for compliment. I am flattered.

I am stumped at why any hybridizer would retire from doing what they evidently love to do. I wish I had started doing it earlier in my life. Does it really matter what climate new varieties are developed. I would think irises are hardy in all cold climates.

Seed pods are developing on many varieties. I'm sure not all that I have crosses will bear pods. Darn the rain today. Had 4 rainstorms and ofcourse each came after I crossed varieties. Hopefully the crossing will take even with the rain.

Will have a new iris and/or daylily bed ready this fall. Gave my daughter a lot of plants to make room. Used Roundup on the weeds in the new bed, then covered the area with black plastic. Everything will bake underneath over the summer. My son-in-law will till it up for me.

I will be out of commission for a while due to surgery end of this month. Yea I know, bad timing. I had surgery March 2010 and that was not good timing either since weeds got ahead of me. Now I just want to get it over and done with.

caitlinsgarden, yes I do both daylily and iris crosses.

For those of you who want to try your hand at hybridization, the photo below shows where to place the pollen.